Writing long passages can often prove to be intimidating for people, especially who do not write on a regular basis. Roger Wolfson, however, mentions that writing need not be agonizing for anyone. In fact, almost every person can improve their writing skills if they have the willingness to learn and a little bit of discipline. Wolfson is a TV writer and a speechwriter, who has risen to positions of prominence in the fields of entertainment, politics, news, and law with his excellent and dynamic skill set.
One of the best ways to improve writing skills would be to learn from the experts and leverage their experience. Roger Wolfson is an individual who has great writing talents. Owing to his writing prowess, he got the opportunity to write speeches for multiple politicians belonging to the United States Democratic Party. He has written scripts for a host of TV shows as well.
Here are a few writing tips underlined by Roger Wolfson:
- Before they can start writing delightful long content, people would need to have a good understanding of the basic principles of writing. While they need not do a Master’s course in writing like Wolfson, they must know the basics of grammar and spelling. Acquiring a comprehensive resource that talks about the correct use of grammar can significantly help people to brush up their basics.
- The best writers often tend to be keen readers. Hence, reading on a regular basis can be a good step towards developing quality writing skills. One should try to diversify their reading material while planning to augment their writing skills. While reading blog posts and story books can prove to be fruitful, one must try to expand their horizons by reading something that is more challenging. While reading, they must also try to pay attention to the word choices, sentence structure, and how the material flows.
- After writing a long chunk of text, one must read the material out loud. This can aid in catching clunky sentences, misspellings, as well as missing and repetitive words. Reading out loud enables the writers to gauge the overall effectiveness of a piece, and avoid mistakes.
- One should try to use crisp, concise, and powerful sentences while writing any material. They must take a look at each sentence written by them, and try to cut out as many words from there. Like many other spheres, the phrase ‘less is more’ pertains to writing as well.
- People must let go of extraneous tags when writing dialog. While at times using flowery terms like quizzed, extrapolated, exclaimed, and interjected seems to be quite appealing, it is vital to remember that simplicity is often the key to good writing.
Roger Wolfson has acted as a writing instructor for many. He typically takes on writing clients whom he believes have enough drive to succeed, in addition to promising skills.