Most large companies maintain a stand-alone electronic commerce/electronic data interchange (EC/EDI) platform with their trading partners. This system allows businesses to exchange vital commercial documents and information when entering into commercial transactions. As the companies expand their market operations, managing the electronic data interchange platform can become difficult. Moreover, they have to upgrade this platform from time to time to keep pace with technological changes. Only then can the platform operate flawlessly. However, this is time-consuming and expensive for many companies. This is the reason why they seriously consider outsourcing their EDI activities to a reliable EDI solution provider.
EDI solutions provider – What do companies need to consider when hiring one?
EDI solutions providers are third-party vendors that companies hire to manage their electronic data interchange platforms. They take on the responsibility of collecting, transporting, translating, and processing their clients’ business data. This includes ensuring the EDI platform works flawlessly with other business applications which the companies operate. Many of them even take care of daily operations and coordinate with trading partners. Companies don’t need to understand the intricate details of the entire process. Corporate enterprises just need to establish and maintain a direct connection with their solution providers. Moreover, they can also retain full control and ownership of their IT infrastructure and EDI platforms better.
Companies need to consider the following 5 points when hiring a suitable EDI solutions provider for their businesses:
· The solutions provider has the necessary infrastructure and resources to handle the companies’ overseas market;
· The provider is a member of various international EDI standard bodies and holds necessary certifications;
· The provider should have a flexible pricing structure for services it offers to its corporate clients;
· The additional value-added services of the solutions provider should be available to companies for no extra charge; and
· The clientele of the solution provider should belong to the same industry, similar to these companies.
Advantages of hiring providers offering EDI solutions
Corporate enterprises who hire providers offering EDI solutions end up enjoying the following five advantages:
1. Companies can avail the latest technology when they outsource their EDI operations to a reliable solution provider;
2. Businesses can save on the administrative costs of maintaining a stand-alone EDI infrastructure;
3. The corporate enterprise can hand over the responsibility of carrying out upgradation to their service provider;
4. The companies are in a position to exploit new markets when they outsource the EDI operations; and
5. Companies can reduce their carbon footprints by making a decision to hire a provider offering EDI solutions.
Hiring a reliable EDI solutions provider can work wonders for companies in the long-run. They can save money on the amount most businesses associate with maintaining a stand-alone infrastructure. Moreover, companies do not have to worry about upgradation issues. This is because their solution provider takes care of it. Businesses can even avail of the latest technology for expanding their operations in new markets. In doing so, they will be working hand-hand with their trading partners and gain a competitive edge in the market with success.