Acupuncture for Beginners: What to Expect from Your First Session
Acupuncture has the goal to stimulate specific points on your body by inserting thin needles. It seeks to balance the flow of energy or life force (also called Chi or Qi). Acupuncture is considered a holistic health technique. With this, more and more people schedule acupuncture nj appointment.
For your information, here are the things that you should expect from your first acupuncture session:
When you first come into the facility, you should expect the following:
- Greet: the receptionist will greet you and check your schedule. Furthermore, you will be given forms to fill out so you should be patient.
- Escort: as soon as the information is collected, the receptionist will prompt the acupuncturist. The acupuncturist will then escort you to a treatment table and will request you to take off your shoes and socks. Upon entering, you will hear soft music playing.
- Lie: the acupuncturist will ask you to lie down on a massage table. There will be a basket or container near the table to keep your valuables safe. This way, your valuables are within arm’s reach.
- Review: you should also expect that the acupuncturist would review your condition by asking some questions. Talking to your acupuncturist will take 10 to 15 minutes but it is expected to speak in muted voices so you do not disturb other people.
After completing the evaluation, you should expect the following:
- Prescription: after reviewing your condition, the acupuncturist will place sterile acupuncture needles to promote natural healing. The points will be determined according to your condition. When the needles are inserted, you will not feel discomfort – after all, the needles are as thin as a strand of hair.
- Rest: as soon as the needles are inserted, you should expect to rest on the table for 25 to 45 minutes. You will feel a deep sense of relaxation and calm during the procedure. The acupuncturist is just near if you feel any discomfort.
Finally, you should expect the following:
- Removal: after resting, the acupuncturist will remove the needles. Do not worry because you will not feel uneasiness during the removal. In fact, it will be very quick. While removing, the acupuncturist will tell you quick fixes you can do at home.
- Treatment plan: after the removal of needles, you should expect a thorough discussion of your treatment plan. At this time, you will know the number of sessions you will need and over what time period. These are important to feel lasting relief. The acupuncturist will also lay out adjunctive services like massage therapy or herbal medicine.
Acupuncture is mainly utilised to relieve discomfort associated with different diseases and conditions from chronic pain to headaches, anxiety, and insomnia. It has a few side effects so it is worth a try if you are having trouble controlling pain and other conditions.